St. Declan’s well and Church, Saint Declan founded a seminary in Ardmore circa 416. The holy well served as a Baptistry to early Christian Missionaries. The coastguard station 1867 – taken over and burnt down by republicans on independence. The castle – built at the same time as the coast guard station, both abandoned in 1921. The spectacular wreck of the crane ship ‘ Samson’.
The cliff walk at Ardmore has an amazingly diverse range of flora, comprising of 113 species of wildflower, grasses and fern including orchids, vetchs, wild thyme and blue scabious. The Ardmore Cliff Walk is also a birdwatchers paradise and is home to a host of Coastal birds. Other birds such as Rock Pipits, Pheasant, Kestrel, Peregrine Falcons occupy the habitat. On sunny days watch out for common lizards sunning themselves (Ireland's only native reptile).
|Duration||1.5 hrs - 2 hrs|
|Terrain||Minor roads, laneways, cliff top paths.|
|Minimum Gear||Trekking shoes, rain gear, fluid, mobile phone.|
|Trailhead||Sea Front Car Park|
From Lismore, take the N72 to Tallow. Drive straight through Tallow town and follow the R634 to Youghal.
From Youghal, follow the N25 signposted Waterford. Turn right onto the R673 signposted to Ardmore.
From Dungarvan, take the N25 to Kiely's Cross. Turn left onto the R673, signposted Ardmore.
Once in Ardmore take the Middle Road to the Cliff House hotel. The walk begins just after the hotel car park – follow the road to where it becomes a path leading down to old ruins.